Season of the Rose 2017 • Day 1

I wasn't ready to leave Austin yet, timing was a little bit off, as it has been recently. Timing seems to be just a slight syncopated step away from that comfortable sound.

I wasn't ready to leave Austin, but I needed to take a trip. Summer is for travel, I can't stand the Texas Summers anyway.

This morning I woke up at 4am, took an uber to the airport and realized that United tricked me (go figure...) if you get the economy ticket, they don't let you carry on 2 bags (like I am used to) they make you check one and pay for it. Regardless, I made my flight, slept as much as I could on the airplane and was complimented for my ingenious packing of long socks. I use Sandals for easy removal through security but socks are so necessary for comfort on the cold plane. The lady next to me was jelly. Comfort is my #1 priority.




Landed in Newark, took a train to a bus to another train and ended up at Penn Station. Dark, metallic, and dirty. I observed the Penn Station staff greeting each other as they crossed paths and eavesdropped on partial stories and gossip about weekend shenanigans.

As I walked off the train from Newark, into Penn Station I started to meander in search of food. I was pleasantly surprised when I found a little health food shop with yummy fresh salads, dairy free dressings, and many many gluten free labels. I continued to wander until the hall became more dense. I saw a couple NYPD officers and smiled at those iconic uniforms. As I saw them, and the rest of people on their trajectories, I thought, "I'm in NYC" and smiled like a kid in a candy store. I've never been to NYC as an adult.

Traveling alone is the best, you get to create your own world that way. You get to say yes to everything that you want to, and imagine things without anyone else's influence.

I sat on my duffel bag, as I usually do when waiting, for travel things like the gate to be announced or boarding to start. Luckily trains and airplanes are now quite equipped with charging stations so all of my electronic items are charged, and even enough to make a wifi hotspot to get a little work done...! And this isn't international - so everything is in English. I was sitting there waiting for the track to be announced for the Albany train, but before it showed on the screen, it was announced:  "Train 235 is at track 6E" And I saw 3 people dart to the stairs without skipping a beat.

We were all waiting for the the same thing. The staff in these places always seem so laid back. There's got to be something relaxing about watching everyone else frantically trying to make their train, while you're just hanging out.

This train ride is gorgeous. I pronounced "Albany" the way my friend told me I should, and I think it has already paid off; the train attendant told me which side to sit on. Thanks man!

Our train is now tilted at a 20 degree angle. Hmm.

There are lots of red brick buildings and industrial warehouses.

I'm looking out over the Hudson River, seeing all of the sailboats, yearning to be on the water. I think this train is going to stay on the Hudson River all the way up, then I have another hour ride back to the Abode of the Message. My parents took me to the abode as a toddler, but I haven't been back since. We will see how this goes! I'm quite excited to see the place.

I like the way people are here. They're very direct, they kind of come off with an attitude, but I love it. They're not trying to be nice if they don't know you, they have a job to do. But so far the people I have approached to ask for directions or whatever, didn't make a big deal about it, they just helped me and then moved on. That's all I need. Texans make everything a big freaking deal. I don't need to have a 10 min conversation about why I didn't understand the station, just tell me what to do, cool, thanks, okay, bye, great.

Pictures of the Abode Tbc....




Comments

Popular Posts